Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 15 - Enjoy the Silence

Jeremiah 31:31-34 ---

31 "The time is coming," declares the LORD,
"when I will make a new covenant
with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah.

32 It will not be like the covenant
I made with their forefathers
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to
them, "
declares the LORD.

33 "This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time," declares the LORD.
"I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.

34 No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,'
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,"
declares the LORD.
"For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more."


Hey guys and gals.

Read the passage twice and consider that bolded phrase. The God who knows ALL, decides to forget some stuff, it is the opposite from what most of us are used to. We have to intend to remember something or we'll forget it, God has to intend to forget something, or He'll remember it. Haha, that's great! It's the great news out of that scripture, God promises to remember our sins no more. Take a few minutes to actually process that.

What are some of the things in your life that you hope God might forget? Choices you've made? Places you've stepped backward, when you feel God called you to step forward? Words you've spoken that you can't take back? Shameful memories of failure, weakness, or unfaithfulness? Think about it. Look at them, name them, write them down on a piece of scrap paper. Don't rush this, whether the sins are small or large, whether they involve other people or just you... whether it happened this morning, or years ago, write it down.

When we write down our sins it's like we open the floodgates of God's forgiveness. The awesome news that is in Jeremiah 31 is that God chose to forget and forgive our sin. I love it, because He knows, because He rules, because He judges, because He loves, because He is, and... because He forgets! Imagine that.

Tear up the piece of paper with you sins written on it. With those shreds of paper in your hand, spend some time in silence with God, enjoy it. Pray, talk it out. :)

-Colton

No comments:

Post a Comment