Friday, April 23, 2010

Colton does relationships... Part 1.

Here I sit. At my grandparents house, where I will be staying for the next couple weeks while my parents are on a cruise to the panama canal. Relaxing, I forgot how much I loved it here. I got here when no one else was home and I sat on the trampoline in the sun with my music blaring, and I felt calm. Then my bedroom has some massive windows, perfect for some sun to shine in and wake up (the best way to wake up ever - garunteed to make me happy!) Also, there is the blue room, or the bible room as I always used to call it, with large windows once again and awesome couches and a table smothered in books.
I am excited. Pray that my parents have an incredible trip, they are very deserving, and I don't think they realize how much I appreciate all that they have gone through with me over the past year.

So, tonight I went to youth group again! Yes! It's been so long, and I love those kids. There was one point in the night when they were throwing knives, doing handstands on the church roof, jumping off the church roof, and well... let's leave it at that. However, by the end of the night we had a really good talk about relationships, purity, what schools are teaching, and what they think a relationship is. Haha, once again I feel the need to point out that I love these kids. I am excited, this is going to be the topic over the next few weeks at youth, and it is something that everyone can get something out of, whether you are a teenager, or an adult already married.

So, my idea of a perfect relationship... technically, it wasn't my idea at all. The following verses are talking about perfect love, the love of Jesus, but let's put that in the perspective of a human relationship. Tonight the question was asked what do you think of when you hear the word relationship, some people thought friends, some people thought spouse, and some people thought boyfriend or girlfriend.
1 Corinthians 13 ---
(We all "know" it, but let's really read into it. Italics are my thoughts.)

Love never gives up.
I feel like this is for people who are already with who they feel God has called them to be with, it is simply put, love doesn't give up. When you love someone You will not give up on them.
Love cares more for others than for self.
This is speaking of the kind of love that Jesus displayed for us. He loved us more than himself. In order to be true disciples of God we have to do the same. And if you want a perfect relationship, one that will grow and blossom in God, this is key.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Okay, there are some different ways to look at this. I am going to go with this thought, the basic "cheating" issue. When you are in love with someone you will not want to have to do with anyone else, although that is common sense. I guess they were obligated to throw that in there, after all these are the directions to the PERFECT relationship.
Love doesn't strut,
True love doesn't go around saying "Ohhh, I am in love, I have this hot new girlfriend, check it out! I am so cool, I am in love, yah da yah da yah da."
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Read above.
Doesn't force itself on others,
If you love someone you will wait, you will not force them to have feelings for you. You will be loving, and show love by being kind and patient, and praying.
Isn't always "me first,"
Self explanitory? When you love you put the person you are loving before you. A way fo displaying your affection for them.
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Patience is key my friends!
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Patience, along with forgiveness is key. Sometimes this takes time, but in a relationship trust is key, demonstrate the forgivness God has shown you. If your "lover" has done something not so cool recently do try to one up them, you are better than that. be the example, show the true love.
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Shower optimism and joy on people when the grovel.
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
If you love, truly love, you will do this. In a healthy way!
Trusts God always,
!!!!!!!
Always looks for the best,
Once more, optimism anyone?
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.
Love never dies.
I believe the last three go very well together. Never looks back, keeps going, never dies. Love is forever, and that is how you know you have true love.

For me this is a check list. When you think you are doing a good job of loving those around you, whether it be family, friends, or a significant other, refer back to this verse. Check and see what you are missing, what you are doing well with. God says "Trust steadily, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love." That goes for any kind of relationship. It is THE KEY! So pray, pray to love, to show love, to find love, to see love. Perfect love.

After youth we watched a dvd, and my sould feels heavy, not sure why. Hmm.
-Colton

2 comments:

  1. i love this, i love the begggining of this verse "love never gives up" so true (clever title by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're blogs have really been helping me lately. You seem to write them exactly when I need to hear them. Thank you for following the Spirit's lead and letting God speak through you so fluently.

    ReplyDelete