Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Fiercely Jealous Lover




James 4:1-10 ---- The Message

1-2Where do you think all these appalling wars and quarrels come from? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come about because you want your own way, and fight for it deep inside yourselves. You lust for what you don't have and are willing to kill to get it. You want what isn't yours and will risk violence to get your hands on it.

2-3You wouldn't think of just asking God for it, would you? And why not? Because you know you'd be asking for what you have no right to. You're spoiled children, each wanting your own way.

4-6You're cheating on God. If all you want is your own way, flirting with the world every chance you get, you end up enemies of God and his way. And do you suppose God doesn't care? The proverb has it that "he's a fiercely jealous lover." And what he gives in love is far better than anything else you'll find. It's common knowledge that "God goes against the willful proud; God gives grace to the willing humble."

7-10So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he'll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it's the only way you'll get on your feet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was so much going through my mind today of what I should write about, I actually started once, and then stopped and left it. One option was about blessing people, another one was being open and honest in Christ. Then it hit me, I need to be honest, need to be real and write about something on my heart today, not something that came to mind, because it is then that people will be able to take away and get something from what I write.... So, to be honest, I am tired, a little weary, maybe stressed, feel like people are always nagging me? Pressure is on in school, and I have been racing. Running a race, but maybe not God's race.

I have really truly been consumed with the world over the past week, and it is really starting to effect me, just tonight I opened my bible and started reading old favourite verses and my smile and pure joy grew, there really is no substitute for God. You know, when we are not at our high points we have smaller and smaller amounts of teaching to offer, so now I am back on track. Forgive me?

My favorite line(I think) in the above passage is this.. "And do you suppose God doesn't care? The proverb has it that "he's a fiercely jealous lover." And what he gives in love is far better than anything else you'll find"

There is so much truth in that. You know, a lot of times I am so strong in God, but it's only one half of my life, then at other parts in my day I am consumed with my social life, school, you name it, etc. I loose focus, this verse talks about how we want our own way, and honestly, I KNOW I am guilty of that, God will clearly tell me over and over again not to do something, then because I WANT to, I do it, and in the end it causes unnecessary frustration in my life, and I think, why didn't I listen?

I also love this line... "Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out." Haha, it is so true. Why don't we let go of what we think we want and just listen to what God knows will truly satisfy us? You know, James is known for being a little harsh, but I like it... When you think about it, we are some pretty naughty children to our Father, sometimes we don't always listen. You know what's beautiful? That whenever we lift our hearts and ask Daddy to pick us up, just like a two year old would? He does. Re-read that verse over and over again there is so much to get from it, so much honesty, no candy coating. :)

"Get down on your knees before the Master; it's the only way you'll get on your feet."

Lifting my hands, and asking,

Colton.

1 comment:

  1. "I have been racing. Running a race, but maybe not God's race." <-- I like that part. Also, I like "Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out." That part of the verse hit me as well! Thank you for your bold honesty and truth. (God honers that) Nice picture by the way!

    Yazzie :)

    ReplyDelete