Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Niffty

I love days like today, when you wake up, and the sun is shinning in the window. You feel nothing but calmness. God is here.
Today was the last day of my vacation before heading back to school tomorrow. I woke up, and got a haircut, then went to the city, and spent a lot of money, which, when I can afford it, I like to do as well. All day I had a smile on my face and I kept thinking of the book of Matthew... you know that verse? Well, typical me, forgot what the verse was exactly, so I went to matthew in my bible to check it out - then it dawned on me.

I love the book of Matthew! I figure it is simply because every word is the spoken word of God, which in my mind, is the coolest thing. Yes, I adore the bible, and every time I read it I get something from it, but it seems like, when I read Matthew there is something special. It's like God, my Creator, Saviour, Dad, picked these exact words and lessons to be shared to me, directly from him. You know?

Anyway... back to my first rant, I find the verse, or should I say verse(s)...
Matthew 5:13-16 -- Salt and Light

13"Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.
14-16"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.

So from that, the part I want to look at is this. --- If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.

I love that, SHINE! This is what's going through my mind. God has given me this freedom, this joy. An incredible gift, or in other words, this incredible light, I am going to let it shine! So that's what I did all day, I smiled, I opened up to people I don't know, started conversations, just blessing people as I went through my daily activities... okay, there is one story it's kind of funny. I was driving my sister back from Walmart, and there was an elderly man walking on the sidewalk, for a brief moment we made eye contact and, although he couldn't hear me, I let out a loud "WASSSUP!" along with a wave. We looked behind us, and the old man was turned around waving and laughing hysterically. Apparently we understood what I had said. I guess you kind of had to be there, but it kind of hit me then. We, as FREE human beings have this unfathomable POWER to share with people our positive energy and joy.

No, today I didn't heal the blind, or get a chance to feed the hungry, and no, I didn't see a soul accept jesus into their lives, but what I did do is something equally important, I tok time and effort and planted seeds of happiness into peoples days, who knows what that smile could lead to. I challenge you to pray for an abundant joy and overflowing positive energy for tomorrow, see what happens, so how many old men you can make crack up. ;)

That's all for now.

Under His Mercy
-Colton

2 comments:

  1. Thats so great!!! I love it and I will be praying!!!:) It kind of reminded me of when we were at the Dream Center.When all the workers/people being decipled would always say when you passed them " God Bless You!!" I never really understood/ felt the meaning of people saying that so lavishly... It really struck me and it got me, I was so overwhelmed one day I just fell into tears because I came into realization that my life is sooooo BLESSED!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing. The little things always matter the most:))

    God Bless You,
    Olivia Hemenway

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soo proud of you.
    You have no idea.

    ReplyDelete